- Has the applicant read and considered our information on 501(c)(3) filing and alternative structures to 501(c)(3) organizations?
- Does the applicant have a thoughtful and realistic fundraising plan?
- Does the applicant have a minimum of $2500 in major donations in progress that require a tax deduction to be completed OR another compelling reason to require 501(c)(3) status? (These could be pledges or solid leads with a corporation, foundation and/or major individual donor OR situations where 501(c)(3) status is required to do your work or secure resources or partnerships).
- Has the applicant considered and actively looked into fiscal sponsorship? Do they have a good reason why they are not starting with a fiscal sponsorship relationship?
- Is there team of people committed to the project, or is the applicant working alone?
- Does the applicant understand what it entails to both file for and maintain a 501(c)(3) organization?
- Is the applicant doing their own filing, or retaining an attorney?